Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next steps

1. I'm going to build in a subdomain under my master site. When ready you'll all be able to hit it at http://poets.frivoloustwist.com
  2. Once up, I'm going to make registration by invite only and then invite you all
  3. I suggest you register with your moderator (we'll come up with cooler ranks) pseudonyms. It sucks that we'll all have two logins, but I hate the extra weight mods get when they post. When we post as mods it should be rare, necessary, and or site business related, not poems and such (Just my opinion)
  4. I'll create a single moderators board where were can continue this discussion.
  5. I'll have to play with permissions, but Ideally each of us will be able to create boards. This should make spreading the workload a bit easier.
  6. I need at least one other Admin. This person will have full power over the site, even the ability to delete it. Hell, they'll be able to lock me out if I go on a rant. I nominate Tracy, but every is free to nominate Tracy as well.
  7. Once we settle on a name that we can acquire the domain for I'll point the domain to the site.
  8. When we all like what we see, we can open membership up.

I'm starting...

Now!

Comments

• Whoo-hoo!!

Suggestion for mild mod names, on a service theme. I agree with mod anonymity.

Sweeper
    Duster
    Wiper
    Mopper
    Washer
    Scrubber
    Cleaner
    Polisher
    Buffer
    Fixer

I claim Fixer. Next?

• brusher
    desinfector
    lavador
    purificator

• Okay, quick thoughts... the board style look at MWC and BWF appeals more than tabs along the topline... but anyway on arrival the visitor can access the Welcome Home page which introduces the site and points to the guidelines. Updates and news can be here, and to ensure these get read and newcomers move in the right direction, only the Welcome Home button is available for clicking on to get started (for everybody). (some SEO landing page issues there but maybe doable) Once clicked and opened, then other pages become visible. Let's call one the Gallery (or whatever) where good poems are featured/showcased and remain there, slowly archiving as additions happen. Open to the online public. This is like the glossy front page. No comments or crits - these are finished poems.

A newbie board. Guidelines state introduce yourself on this board in between other newbie poem posts and replies, more informal, and gets nervous types into the swing of things, so it functions as the Welcome Board too. Newbies prompted but not forced to offer 3:1 comment/post ratio. All members can engage here and should. When a newbie has shown some talent and stamina and all round desirability, they can be promoted to member. So this is styled like a newbie RMP board. But for example, let's say Gyppo showed up for a visit and wanted to be a member, he'd be fast-tracked through the newbie board to the inner domain of members. 

Only members can access the main board, let's call it Poetry Workshop, and it's where we post our drafts, receive comments and crits, and revise and repost. When a piece is ready and good enough it can go into the public gallery. I can see that Gallery becoming something, like an ongoing anthology. make it look real nice, like a book or something, cool graphics. And the Workshop button tab is visible so people can see it's there but they can't just stroll in as non-members. Why would we want to share the messy business of hammering a piece into shape like hanging out laundry for the non-member public to see? Fuck that. Pay your dues as a newbie and maybe we'll let you in -it should allow us to keep the poetry quality reasonably good.

The whole idea is to keep things managed but without repelling new talent or allowing idiots to represent the site.    

I think a page along the lines of a combination of the CPT and PoeticThis! threads would probably be a good idea for fooling around, posting links etc (and where Ty can indulge his passion for wordplay games)

Next board is our equivalent of the MWC Mod Shack to post and discuss stuff.

So in summary, and please bear in mind I'm making this up as a rough draft as i go along, we have the nice-looking graphics of a blankish home page with a big red button in the middle that says
        WELCOME
           HOME
    this is the only portal into the rest of the site. As a visitor you click on this to the inside home page with sub-page guidelines, news etc and also see tabs for:

GALLERY (digital-book-style showcase for finished poems, page turner and all + blurb)

NEWCOMERS (the newbie RMP-type board as described)

MEMBERS ONLY ( visible tab but have to sign in as a member to access) > WORKSHOP and CPT3/POETIC THIS! boards.

and then for the mods THE LAUNDRY ROOM or whatever.

I also think it would be nice to have a page for photos and pictures but some restriction would have to apply there, limited size and frequency. Can be added later.

Well, I hope this helps a bit.
  • thanks a million, Mark. I'll get it set up like this and then we can tweak it before we open registration.
  • edited January 5
    I think you should get the others' opinions. And Tracy said he was working on something too.

A refinement suggestion is to make that whole landing page look like an old door, with glass panels through which you can see a hint of inside, maybe a private library/study effect, and the WELCOME HOME button like a big old doorbell.
  • Seems like a great piece of work there Mark
  • Mark said:
    I think you should get the others' opinions. And Tracy said he was working on something too.

A refinement suggestion is to make that whole landing page look like an old door, with glass panels through which you can see a hint of inside, maybe a private library/study effect, and the WELCOME HOME button like a big old doorbell.
    Pages, I can do. When we start talking about customizing the appearance, etc. You're looking at finding a designer. I code, the left brain/right brain thing is BS, but I've no ability in this area.

What I'm starting with (have already started on) is the general concept. A landing page, a showcase, and a forum with the access right as you described them, or as close as I can make feasibility.

Consider it a canvas waiting for a painter :P  
  • For Moderator names, I call "MadDog" and "Kid Death".  I'll be back with the other stuff later.

Great work Marc and Mark.

Good to see you Dave.  Keep inputing :)
  • Please vote now in 'Name our site poll'